My mom made Heath Bar Coffee Cake a great deal when I was growing up, and whenever I have to make a treat to share with others, I usually opt to bake this recipe. In my experience, not a lot of people have tried this, so when I bring it, they usually rave about what a great baker I am, which is not the case at all...They just haven't ever experienced the deliciousness of Heath Bar Coffee Cake before.
1 stick of butter, softened (no substitutes)
2 c. plain flour
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped Heath bars (We buy the 8 oz. bags of crushed Heath bar, but you could also crush the bars up yourself. You would need 5-6 full sized Heath bars if you're going to do it that way.)
1/4 c. pecans
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
3) Mix all of the ingredients together except for the crushed Heath bars and chopped pecans.
4) After everything is blended together, scoop out 1/2 cup of the mixture and put it into a small bowl & combine with the crushed Heath bars and chopped pecans. This will be the topping.
5) Spread the mix into the pan, making sure to cover it evenly.
6) Sprinkle on the topping.
7) Bake for 30 minutes @ 350 degrees and enjoy!