Hello there! I've been a bit overwhelmed trying to get into the swing of things at my new job, so that's why I couldn't post last week. Even though I only took a week off, I seriously missed blogging! To get back into the swing of things, I want to start by reviewing the goals I set for myself in the summer.
My Summer 2014 Goals
* Apply for a South Carolina teaching license. I did that and got the license! Thank goodness South Carolina had reciprocity with Ohio!! Since I had to go to Charleston to get my background check done, I also had the pleasure of spending the day there as an added bonus. :)
* Find a job. This is something I got so concerned about, but in the end it finally did happen for me. I was so worried that I would be stuck subbing another year, but thank goodness I ended up finding a full time teaching job.
*Lose 10 pounds. Soooo, I lost the 10 pounds by drinking a ton of water and exercising....but then I gained it all back. Losing and maintaining a healthy weight has always been a huge (no pun intended) struggle for me. I still need to work on this.
* I own a lot of dresses and strappy sandals that I just didn't get a whole lot of wear out of in Ohio. I want to change that since it will stay nice and hot here in Georgia all summer. Yep, I wore my dresses and sandals quite often. The only thing is that when we went to downtown Savannah I didn't wear those things because I wanted to wear comfy shoes to walk around in. I avoided wearing nice dresses downtown since it was almost always in the 90's or over 100 degrees. I just wore some old t-shirts and jean shorts because I didn't really care of those ended up drenched in sweat from walking around.
* Go to Charleston. Well, as I just said this totally happened since I had to go there anyway in order to get my finger prints/background check completed.
* Go to the beach at Hilton Head. Yes, I got to go to the beach at Hilton Head. I went twice with my roommates and then made it out to Hilton Head another time to see Rachael. Although we didn't go to the beach, we did take a dolphin cruise, and that was pretty awesome in my book.
* Try boiled peanuts from a roadside stand. Accomplished! At first I thought they were kinda nasty/mushy, but after I got used to them I kinda got hooked.
* Go thrift shopping in Savannah. Um, well I did some browsing at Civvies, but didn't actually buy anything. I'd like to find a Goodwill, garage sale, or thrift shop to find some cheap furniture for my classroom.
* Finish reading The Book Thief. Done.
* Read The Fault in Our Stars, Gone Girl, and Game of Thrones. I finished the first two but I'm still reading Game of Thrones. I haven't picked it up all week just because I haven't had the time, but hopefully I can at least read a couple of chapters today.
* Go out to eat at Sweet Potatoes. Well, I didn't get to do this, but it's not technically my fault. I must've brought it up to Ev and Jared 10 times or more, but it never seemed to happen for us. I'll do a lot of things on my own, but when I go out to eat I tend to want company! I'll have to put this one on the back burner until I can find someone who wants to go here with me.
* Buy new bedroom furniture. I still haven't done this only because I haven't received my first paycheck yet. Once I get paid, I'll be taking care of this. In the very least, I'll get a new bed!
* Go out for drinks one night in downtown Savannah. I went out for a martini at Lulu's Chocolate Bar, and it was pretty fabulous. :)
* Check out the Mars Theater that was recently renovated. I still haven't done this yet, even though it's so close to where we live. Okay, I'll see movies alone during the day, but at night I want a buddy! This theater only plays movies on the weekend, at night. We either already had other plans, Jared had to work, or Ev was too busy planning. Hopefully we can make this happen soon!
Overall, I'm pretty happy with my progress on the goals I set for myself. Checking out the Mars Theater and eating at Sweet Potatoes Kitchen are just for fun, anyway. I am a little upset with myself for not losing the 10 pounds, but I'll just have to try harder. It is kind of difficult here in the South because there are SO much deliciousness everywhere I turn!! At least now that I have a steady job, I'll be on a schedule and maybe that will help me.
Now onto my goals for the upcoming week...
2) Get 8 hours of sleep every night. Because of my long commute, this has been a struggle for me. I need to be getting a good night's rest if I'm to be the best teacher I can be! (Hello Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs!)
3) Try to blog three times/week. I'm going to try my best to do this just because I really wanted to blog last week, but just couldn't find the time. If this is going to happen, I'll probably have to pre-write three posts over the weekend, which isn't exactly my blogging style. Oh well...I have to make adjustments since my life has changed. :)
4) Accomplish my teaching to-do list. I feel like I have a million things on this list. It's kind of overwhelming, but I'm just going to try my best. I mean, that's all I can really do. I also have to attend two professional development meetings after school next week and find time to meet with my mentor teacher at least once.
5) Read for 30 minutes before bed. Despite how busy I get during the week, I think it's important to find a little time to relax, and to me, reading is relaxing.
It felt good to write out those goals! Now I just hope that I can achieve them all. :) What is one thing you hope to accomplish this week?
**Linking up with Melyssa today for Weekly Wishes**